In case of a third country national intends to travel to Hungary and to stay there for more than 90 days within 180 subsequent days, the applicant shall apply for a residence permit for a definite purpose, EU Blue Card, permanent residence permit, residence card, permanent residence card etc. depending on the personal circumstances and the purpose of the stay of the third country national.
Getting a residence permit in Hungary for a definite purpose is bound to general and specific conditions which depend on the purpose of the stay in Hungary. The applicant shall prove both the general and the specific conditions as well.
The applicant shall fulfil the following general conditions to get a Hungarian residence permit for a definite purpose:
- valid travel document;
- prove the purpose of the travel to Hungary and the residence in Hungary;
- document proving the existence of accomodation in Hungary;
- sufficient resources to cover the accomodation and subsistence for the whole period of the residence as well as the travel;
- the applicant shall provide evidence of having access to comprehensive health insurance services or that he/she has the necessary financial resources to cover the costs of such services;
- the applicant shall not be under expulsion or prohibition of entry and stay as well as the travel and the stay of the applicant does not violate the public order, public and national security of Hungary;
- the applicant shall not be under an alert issued in the SIS for the purposes of refusing entry and stay.
The further conditions of getting a Hungarian residence permit and the documents that shall be attached to the application form are specified according to the purpose of the stay in Hungary.,
The residence permit can be applied for the following purposes according to the current Hungarian law:
- family reunification;
- gainful activity;
- intra-corporate transfer and permit for long-term mobility;
- seasonal work;
- EU Blue Card;
- official prupose;
- scientific research;
- medical treatment;
- volunteer activities;
- other purposes;
Place of submitting the application for a Hungarian residence permit
The Hungarian residence permit may be applied on a unified application form and the evidences that prove the existence of the general and specific conditions shall be attached to the application form. The application for the residence permit may be submitted to any consulate officer of Hungary, or at any other place authorised to accept applications for residence permit located in the country where the applicant’s permanent or temporary residence is located, or in the country of the applicant’s nationality.
According to the Hungarian law, in exceptional, equitable circumstances it is possible to submit the application for the residence permit in the territory of Hungary as well. These circumstances are regulated and defined by law. If the applicant intends to apply for a residence permit in Hungary, these exceptional, equitable circumstances shall be proved in the proceeding.
The application for extension of the residence permit shall be submitted at the competent regional directorate in Hungary at least 30 days before the expiry date.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.